DetailsMangalitsa is the prized “royal” pork, originally bred for Archduke Joseph of Hungary in the 1830s. Deep and sweet with a gentle smoke flavor and thick ribbons of silky fat, Mangalitsa bacon is rich in “good” monounsaturated fat and high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Be sure to save the pan drippings for sautéing onions or mushrooms.
- Cooking Instructions
1 POUND PACKAGE; SERVES 2-4
Thaw* product on a dish in the refrigerator.
To best enjoy this unique bacon, we encourage you to caramelize (brown) your Mangalitsa bacon through a searing process in a hot pan. However, we do not recommend crisping this bacon.
- Heat your skillet to high heat. There is no need to use any cooking oil.
- Sear your bacon for approximately 1 minute on each side or until the edges begin to brown and caramelize.
- For best results, place a weighted meat press or flat iron on top of the bacon for even caramelization.
- Remove from the pan and plate or use to add flavor to your favorite dish.
- When the pan and oil cool, pour the remaining oil into a container for future use as you would olive oil. You can use this monounsaturated cooking oil to flavor sauces, sear steaks, pan fry vegetables or to enhance the flavor of many other dishes.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before cooking.