4 SHANKS; SERVES 4
Thaw* product on a dish in the refrigerator.
- 4 1 lb veal shanks, thawed*
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups beef stock or consommé
- 1½ cups dry white or red wine
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper. Place flour in a bowl and dredge shanks. Shake off excess.
- In a skillet with high sides or Dutch oven, brown both sides.
- Pour stock or consommé and wine over meat so that it is immersed. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Add vegetables. Continue simmering 3-5 minutes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and place skillet in the oven. After 1 hour, check the tenderness of the meat. Continue cooking about 1 hour more. The meat is finished when it is fork-tender.**
- Transfer to an ovenproof serving dish and keep warm. Boil remaining juices to reduce, about 15 minutes. Baste shanks with reduced juices and bake 10-15 minutes more, basting 3-4 more times.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before cooking.
**Meat is fork-tender when it gives when a fork is inserted and twisted.