8 4 OUNCE SLICES; SERVES 4
Thaw* product on a dish in the refrigerator.
- 8 4 oz veal calf’s liver slices, thawed*
- steak-cut bacon slices, thawed* (or 8 slices of regular bacon)
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Allen Brothers glace de veau (or ½ cup beef broth)
- 1 cup port wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook bacon slices on medium-high until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a dish to drain or pat dry. Crumble bacon. Discard all but 4 tablespoons of fat from skillet.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme in a shallow dish. Dredge liver in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- In a skillet, heat fat on medium-high. Add liver and cook until tender and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes (or 8-10 minutes for steak cuts). Transfer liver to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Add onion and apples to skillet and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in glace, port wine and vinegar. Boil mixture to reduce, 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over liver, sprinkle with bacon and serve.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before cooking.