4 16 OUNCE RIBS; SERVES 4
Thaw* product on a dish in the refrigerator.
- 4 16 oz beef short ribs, thawed*
- 3 cups flour, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ quarts beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add salt and pepper to 2¾ cups of flour. Lightly dredge ribs in flour and seasoning, coating thoroughly.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet with high sides or Dutch oven, then brown ribs on each side. Remove from skillet.
- Leave 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet and add celery, carrots, onions and garlic. Sauté until browned.
- Add 1½ cups of red wine to skillet and whisk in tomato paste. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the ribs, thyme and bay leaves, cover with beef stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in the oven. Cook approximately 2 hours, until fork-tender.**
- Mix ½ cup of wine and ¼ cup of flour until thoroughly combined. Add to pan and cover.
- Simmer on the stovetop 30 minutes more. When finished, the sauce should stick to the ribs, but not be too heavy. If needed, add stock or wine to thin the sauce.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
**Meat is fork-tender when it gives when a fork is inserted and twisted.