2.5-3.5 POUND BRISKET; SERVES 6-8
We recommend removing thawed* meat from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
Note: Brisket should be prepared at least one day in advance for best results. It can be frozen after cooking.
1 2.5-3.5 lb brisket, thawed*
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high.
- Sear brisket about 3 minutes per side.
- Place brisket in a roasting pan.
- Mix onions, ketchup, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour over brisket.
- Add 1 cup water (or 1/2 inch) to the bottom of roasting pan.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and place in the oven.
- Roast 3-31/2 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.†
- Leave brisket in roasting pan and let cool. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, skim off fat, remove brisket from pan, leaving the onion mixture.
- Slice brisket thin, about 1/4-inch thick, across the grain of the meat.
- Return the sliced brisket to the pan with the onion mixture, cover, and refrigerate or freeze.
- Reheat until hot. This takes approximately 20 minutes at 350°F.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*Thaw packaged meat on a dish in the refrigerator.
See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
†Meat is fork-tender when it gives when a fork is inserted and twisted.