DetailsMeadow-raised bone-in veal shanks, perfect for flavorful, tender osso buco. Fed an exclusive formula diet for a milky white color, our veal has a fine texture not found anywhere else. Slow cook for rich, fall-off-the-bone tender meat. The bone-in presentation is not only dramatic, but the luscious bone marrow is also considered a delicacy. Uncooked, ready to braise and serve. Note: 4 shanks together per package.
- Shipping Info
Exclusive AB Prime Protection for a Delivery in Wholesome Condition
- We are eager to pack and ship your Allen Brothers order and offer your choice of the following Allen Brothers Prime Delivery Days: Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
- Order BEFORE Wednesday, Noon CST to receive your order on Friday of the same week!
- Orders placed after Noon CST on Wednesday will reflect available Allen Brothers Prime Delivery Dates for the following week - sorry, we do not ship our products over the weekend.
- Overnight Delivery Service reduces the time-in-transit to just 1 day for an additional $25 and is the perfect solution if you would like to receive your order on a Tuesday or you place your order AFTER Noon CST and would like to receive your order within 2 business days.
- All meats are individually shrink-wrapped and flash frozen to lock in all natural juices and flavor.
- Products are packaged in an attractive gift box and nestled in a reusable polystyrene container with enough dry ice to ensure safe delivery. The container is placed in a heavy-duty corrugate box for an additional layer of protection.
- When sending a gift you must make sure the gift recipient will be available for delivery.
Please see our SHIPPING PAGE for shipping costs, holiday order deadlines and more: https://www.allenbrothers.com/contact-shipping-information
- Cooking Instructions
Veal Shanks for Osso Buco
4 SHANKS; SERVES 4
Thaw* product on a dish in the refrigerator.
- 4 1 lb veal shanks, thawed*
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups beef stock or consommé
- 1½ cups dry white or red wine
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper. Place flour in a bowl and dredge shanks. Shake off excess.
- In a skillet with high sides or Dutch oven, brown both sides.
- Pour stock or consommé and wine over meat so that it is immersed. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Add vegetables. Continue simmering 3-5 minutes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and place skillet in the oven. After 1 hour, check the tenderness of the meat. Continue cooking about 1 hour more. The meat is finished when it is fork-tender.**
- Transfer to an ovenproof serving dish and keep warm. Boil remaining juices to reduce, about 15 minutes. Baste shanks with reduced juices and bake 10-15 minutes more, basting 3-4 more times.
FOR BEST RESULTS
*See Delivery Storage and Thawing for thawing details.
Remove thawed product from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before cooking.
**Meat is fork-tender when it gives when a fork is inserted and twisted.
- Nutritional Information